Monday 16 March 2009



Cildo Meireles
Physical Art: Cords / 30KM Extended Line 1969
Industrial cord, map wooden box 60x40x8cm.

From the ‘Geographical Mutations’ series
A conceptual artist, who questions the “physical, geometric, psychological, topographical and anthropological” boundries producing work which calls into question and refuses to be restricted by the political, physical or geographical, boundries. This small leather case, displaying a map of Brazil, combines and contains the earth from the borders of the two opposing states of Rio and Sao Paulo. This work is also a personnal reflection on this Brazilian artists childhood.

5 comments:

  1. I love Cildo Meireles!!! looked at him for Inside The White Cube and thought his stuff was great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mary

    Great. Maybe it would be good too to share a web link for further reading.

    I reckon http://www.tate.org.uk/tateetc/issue14/materiallanguage.htm
    would be a good place to start.

    What work did you look at Sarah, any links there to share? What do either of you learn from this kind of inside/outside the white cube strategy?

    How useful is an object to communicate an experience?

    Cheers

    Roddy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sarah, agree love Cildo Meireles work, I am realy into Conceptual art, he has got to be one of the best.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Roddy,
    Have looked at the interview with Frederico Morais, before posting on blog. I can really relate to Meireles's work, I like the way he simply obliterates borders by transfering soil from each side, then maps this merg, in a tiny case. I understand when he says, "it's a dialogue between body and materials", and "My works are based on language",and of, "giving a voice to a multitude of individuals", he could be speaking for me on the direction my work is heading. This work by Meireles is a good example of the sort of art work we could extract from our derives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone.
    In answer to your question Roddy last year I looked at Fontes (which was my favourite), Through (because it includes barbed wire), Southern Cross and some others too. This year I have done some research into his piece called How To Build Cathederals as this piece has similarites to one by John Newling.
    I just think that Meireles' work is wonderful. Each piece is totally different to the last and stunning in so many ways. Lovely stuff!!

    ReplyDelete